Wednesday, January 04, 2006

last day of training

A couple of notable events in the past few days -- we had our language proficiency test, which involved a lot of blank stares, awkward silence and my repeating "i don't understand" in Otjiherero. Today our long-lost APCD Waldo returned to reassure some of the volunteers who were anxious about the conditions at their permanent site.
I've been pretty steadily working on a DVD to send back to the states with pictures and video from training and my experience thus far. I am pretty happy with the results and I should be able to get it in the mail when we're in Windhoek tomorrow. A couple of us are planning to wake up at 3AM when the Rose Bowl will be rebroadcast here in Namibia
Our schedule for the next few days is pretty hectic -- we drive to Windhoek and the Safari Hotel, make a visit at the US Embassy and the Peace Corps office and then shop till we drop. We've been repeatedly warned about the dangers of Windhoek, "Hey, we ain't in Omaruru no mo," and we're all pretty wary of the big city.
People are already getting emotional about leaving our trainers (we're planning to take Gisella out on the town) as well as the friends they've made in the group. I'm not sure how exactly I'm going up to Otjituuo and equally unclear how I'm getting all my bags and the Peace-Corps-issued trunk/water jerry can up to site.
Also, wanted to mention that I received 3 pieces of mail, the specs on the speakers from Greg, Sylvie's X-Mas letter (mailed Dec 18th) and Camilla's Dec 21st letter. It was really nice to get mail, and I was also happy because our country director brought a bunch of issues of the NYTimes and Washington Post.

1 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Hit and Runover said...

What do the one-year veterans report about the results of language immersion at the work site? Am thinking that your struggle with Otjiherero will mirror their struggle with English and bring you closer. It will also tend to simplify your lesson plans and therefore make it easier for all concerned to "keep up".

The Rose Bowl: I am happy that I am not a regular football fan. Very frustrating...

Looking forward to seeing your video and pix. The PC listserv (subscribed to by Carole) had recent video clips of Omararu which I will have her replay for me (we had some connectivity issues when I was able to look over her shoulder).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home