Friday, January 06, 2006

Windhoek

So we left omaruru mid rosebowl 4:45am (usc was still ahead) and drove into windhoek for the swearing in ceremony. in the morning we did a brief tour of the peace corps facilities including jumping on the computer in the lounge with the fastest connection i've seen in africa. picked up some reading material (midnight's children and war & peace) to supplement what i've already got, those should last me until the m-bags start arriving. we were then instructed that N$3222.16 had been deposited in our FNB accounts and that we should probably equip ourselves for our two years, all in an hour and a half at GAME, Namibia's answer to Wal-Mart. As if it weren't already a high-octane commercial frenzy I went to check on painting supplies only to return to find my cart had been removed by an officious employee and I would need to restock myself. I am not sure what happened after that -- I attained a state of shopping that I really can't describe, it roughly translates to the feeling of "one-ness" that many athletes experience at the height of their careers. What I am able to recollect from the receipt is that at 3:14pm I checked out of GAME, my cashier was Mathilda, and I spent N$2314.20. Richard, my language and culture trainer took us out to Club Shandy that night, which was quite pleasant and Nam25 dominated the scene -- including having BALANCE played several times in a row. It started to pour later on and we were able to grab some meatish items before we returned to the Safari Hotel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home