Saturday, January 14, 2006

namibian fm

Listening to namibian radio last night I had a weird case of cultural déjà vu.  I was mid-way through preparing dinner when I recognized the familiar chords of mariah carey’s hit “get your number” except instead of getting hit over the head with jermaine dupri’s crooning this was the original 80s song (just an illusion by imagination).  

In other news:  day 2 of teaching went a lot better.  Managed to control the class, didn’t even raise my voice or resort to aggressive clapping to get students’ attention.  Lesson learned: the games we learned need to be heavily adapted for classes with 48 kids and/or completely emended if my classes aren’t going to devolve into chaos.  I also provided the pen-less with writing implements and got kids to share paper.  When the workbooks arrive from the ministry we’ll be all set.  I am, however, going to get into the fact that the keys to the room the text books are in is locked in a safe that no one has the key to.

Managed to re-up on essentials (sugar, mince, and bread) when Otjituuo’s principal went to Grootfontein yesterday.  The way it works you send your money with someone who’s going to town and they pick up stuff for you as long as you provide a little rand as gratuity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home